Sunday 3 March 2013

The beauty of silence

Life is just too busy nowadays. I call my blog 'the uncomplicated life of a novelista' because my life is just too complicated to be bearable sometimes.

I live three/four lives and then there is the 'life' inside my head and my secret life.

My secret life is my writing life. I carry my secret notebook with me - right now, a green Moleskine soft cover notebook and I write in pencil. This feels real. I adore writing long hand. I like my hand-writing because in the loops and swirls of my writing I see my own 'madness'.

In my secret life, I crave simplicity and silence, because in silence I can hear the voices of my characters. In my secret life I can control the hated complication of modern existence.

But that 'silence' is often just too hard to find. Expectations are chains and I hate chains.

When I'm writing I fall passionately in love with characters. I have to, to want to write about them.

And when I have finished my novels I miss these imaginary people. They have become my friends. Sometimes I talk to them inside my mind......even after the book is out. This sounds insane I know but they keep me company. They remind me that within the complication that I was born to bear there is the silence I need to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment